THEM

THEM

Jukebox Memories

Exciting times - 1960

drinking Coca Cola, chewing gum, cigarettes, imitating the 'big kids', up the Cross, hanging round the Clock milk-bar (often frequented by 'bodgies and widgies').

Times spent with girlfriends miming to the latest 'pop' songs ... young teens - in love with love. From the age of ten I began a list of every song that came my way.... I was never allowed to go to the haunts, but there was always "Mum, can I stay at Diane's tonight?", this was my chance to sneak down to the Rushcutters Bay Bowling Alley and the milk bar opposite the Stadium. Dad 'found me' one day. As I was the fastest runner in the school. I thought I had him beat.... nnnoooo. I was caught and grounded for a long, long time.















Nov. 23, 1889 S.F.

Gin Joint Hears the World's First Jukebox
By Tony Long 11.23.07

"For a nickel a piece a thrilled group tunes in on a screechy jukebox of the 1890s. Photo: Bettmann/Corbis
1889: The first jukebox is installed at the Palais Royale Saloon in San Francisco. It becomes an overnight sensation and its popularity spreads around the world."

' ... That first jukebox was constructed by the Pacific Phonograph Company. Four stethoscope-like tubes were attached to an Edison Class M electric phonograph fitted inside an oak cabinet. The tubes operated individually, each being activated by the insertion of a coin, meaning that four different listeners could be plugged in to the same song simultaneously ... ' (more)

The History of the Jukebox

No comments:

Post a Comment