THEM

THEM

Buddy Holly Tribute

HOLLY WILL NOT FADE AWAY ... Feb 3, 2009 (50 years anniversary



My first LP was the 'Buddy Holly Story', (bit of a fib really it was 'The Col Joye Story'). If I ever go on Rockwiz I will never admit to owning a Col Joye LP.

Buddy, was given to me for my 11th birthday in the late '50s ... Dad took me along to see him perform at the Sydney Stadium. I thought he was the 'ants pants', with his little hiccoughs, various key changes and large raw guitar sound he twanged the heart strings of many a young girl. "Not Fade Away" and it's 'Bo Didley Beat' caught my attention, little did I know that it was '12 bar blues', which I grew to know and love further down the road.


Sitting up like Jackie' in my hospital bed February 3, 1959 I received the sad news that Buddy, along with The Big Bopper and Ritchie Valens, had died in a plane crash. I'm sure you are all familiar with; The Big Bopper's "Chantilly Lace" and Ritchie's "Come On Let's Go", "La Bamba" and "Donna".


Sadly missed!



Ritchie Valens “Donna” (soundtrack only)




Ritchie Valens “La Bamba”

No comments:

Post a Comment